and How I’m doing on that whole thing…. Below is an outline of the 10 virtues as found in Proverbs 31, that women should aspire to according to, well… according to Proverbs. In the Bible. I want to take a look at each one and kind of… rate myself. Feel free to play along if you like. Or not. I just wanted to see how I measure up.
1. Faith – A Virtuous Woman serves God with all of her heart, mind, and soul. She seeks His will for her life and follows His ways. (Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 31: 29 – 31, Matthew 22: 37, John 14: 15, Psalm 119: 15
Scale of 1-10, ten being best? I’m a 2. That’s a generous estimate. I have certainly had times in my life where I’ve been closer to a 7 or an 8, but since I have kids and a husband, I don’t pay near as much attention to this aspect of my life as I should. (Something tells me this is going to be a running theme here for mrsblogsalot. Hm.
2. Marriage – A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Proverbs 31: 11- 12, Proverbs 31: 23, Proverbs 31: 28, 1 Peter 3, Ephesians 5, Genesis2: 18)
Well, certainly *I* see myself as respectful, and doing him good all the days of my life. He may have another story. I do respect him in every aspect. I’m giving myself a 7 on this one. A solid 7.
3. Mothering – A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of her Father in heaven. She nurtures her children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go. (Proverbs 31: 28, Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 22: 6, Deuteronomy 6, Luke 18: 16)
Hm. Really the only JOB I have. I mean, let’s say, it’s the most important job I have. One might think that I am getting at least THIS one right. I have tried to not just be the one who takes the kids to church, but lives a Godly life in all aspects. Tried is the operative word here. I have nurtured, but has it been with the love of Christ? Well, it HAS been completely unconditional. That love. Have I trained them n the way they should go? I have tried to instill kind hearts, loving ways, joy, wonder etc… Again. Ima give myself a fairly high grade here. How about another 7.
4. Health – A Virtuous Woman cares for her body. She prepares healthy food for her family. (Proverbs 31: 14 – 15, Proverbs 31: 17, 1 Corinthians 6: 19, Genesis 1: 29, Daniel 1, Leviticus 11)
Yeah. Well. On this I kind of suck. I try hard to take good care of my family for sure. I plan menus and meals and don’t buy stuff with high fructose corn syrup or cookies or chips. Unless my husband begs me. We don’t keep sugary soda in the house and we don’t have dessert every night. I do NOT take good care of MYSELF. At all. So, averaging out the two scores, I think I’m coming in at about a 3. Needs improvement. Big time.
5. Service – A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends, and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable. (Proverbs 31: 12, Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20, 1 Corinthians 13: 13)
I do serve. Is it gentle and loving? Not often, at least not with my family. It IS often with a crabby attitude and a bit of resentment. Awesome! I do believe my spirit with OTHERS is gentle and loving and I do feel great peace when helping others. Others that are not my family. Because, THEY should be helping themSELVES! Keeping score? I think I’m a 4 on this.
6. Finances – A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband’s approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs. (Proverbs 31: 14, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 18, 1 Timothy 6: 10, Ephesians 5: 23, Deuteronomy 14: 22, Numbers 18: 26)
7. Industry – A Virtuous Woman works willingly with her hands. She sings praises to God and does not grumble while completing her tasks. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 24, Proverbs 31: 31, Philippians 2: 14)
This actually just gets harder and harder this little “test” I’m giving myself. I do sing praises to God. Almost all the time. I see God everywhere I look just about. (Not in the laundry pile… no. Not there.) I mostly don’t grumble. But I also do not enjoy. So. In a way that is kind of grumbling isn’t it? I’m giving it a 6.
8. Homemaking – A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her. (Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20 – 22, Proverbs 31: 27, Titus 2: 5, 1 Peter 4: 9, Hebrews 13: 2)
My family feels love and warmth and happiness. They also feel grit under their feet and sticky floors at times and might have to fight hard to find a clean glass or a pair of socks. I have made a home. It’s a loving, warm, comfortable home. It is not ever a spotless home. Ever. Our home is always open and always happy to see you. 7.
9. Time – A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 19, Proverbs 31: 27, Ecclesiastes 3, Proverbs 16: 9, Philippians 4:8 )
When I am doing the time thing well? I am doing it VERY well. When I am not? I am wandering aimlessly through my day feeling horrible. Pretty sure a lot of what I do, does NOT please the Lord. But I do not dwell. Or I should say, I try hard not to dwell. I pray a lot for God to help me let things go. For anger and hurt to be lifted from my heart. As much as I have always WANTED to be a grudge holder,( because that anger can feel SO good) I am not. Feeling a 6 here.
10. Beauty – A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones. (Proverbs 31: 10Proverbs 31: 21 – 22, Proverbs 31: 24 -25, Isaiah 61: 10, 1 Timothy 2: 9, 1 Peter 3: 1 – 6)
I feel pretty beautiful when I am happy and full of love that is for sure. I feel beautiful when I walk and sing to God. I feel beautiful when I pray over my kids. I feel beautiful when I know I am being of service to others. 8.